December 16, 2006

Cold, Movies, and a Funeral

It started midday on Thursday -- a very faint, barely noticeable irritation in the back of my throat. Uh, oh, I thought; better drink an extra cup of green tea today. By Thursday evening, I was feeling tired, and the throat was sore. Thursday night, I woke up several times, desperately needing medicine to soothe the soreness that was keeping me awake.

During the day on Friday, the throat began to feel a little better, but the nose started getting congested. Friday night, I went to sleep with a box of tissues by the bed.

Other than that, things are fine. I took the boys to see Eragon last night; Having read the book, Ethan and I had been waiting for this one all year, and nothing would keep us away from opening night. It was a great movie, especially for the kids -- not too long, not too scary. Afterward, we shared our favorite parts, and what was different in the movie than in the book.

I don't go to movies very often, but at the end of the year, the list of movies that I want to see grows. The Pursuit of Happyness. Apocalypto. Blood Diamond. Freedom Writers. And the kids want to see Charlotte's Web and Night in the Museum. I doubt we'll get to them all; but they'll be on DVD soon.

One of my favorite church people died last week; her memorial service is on Monday. Long before my arrival in this community, she was a history teacher at the high school, and I loved visiting with her and talking about history and other things. Many, many people who live around here had her as their teacher. I expect the church will be overflowing, despite the cold weather that is predicted. Cold by California standards, that is. (See the new temperature gauge in the right hand column.)

No comments: