November 10, 2011

Stop. Breathe. Be Aware.

I was in a foul mood, but unsure why.  There was an uneasiness that had settled in the center of my chest.  I found many reasons to be discouraged, but few reasons to be optimistic or hopeful.

Finally, a voice inside my head said, "Stop." 

I did stop, and took notice of my foul mood.  I hadn't even realized I was in a foul mood, but now I realized that it had been hovering over me for hours, like a cloud casting a dark shadow over my day.

I'm not normally in a foul mood (at least, that's what I like to think), and so I began to wonder what was going on.  Why was I in a foul mood now?  Where did this particular foul mood come from?

For the first time that day, I paid attention to my state of mind.  I examined it carefully and gently, much like I once examined my crying baby, searching for the cause of his discomfort.  After a few minutes of searching, I found the source of my discomfort.

I had started my day checking email and facebook.  Someone had posted a link to a video of a race car crash in which a driver was killed.  I rarely click on such links, but I did this time, and watched the video.

The video showed a horrific scene of carnage and destruction, but at the time I didn't realize how disturbed it had left me.  Hours later, when I finally stopped and took notice of my mood, I discovered its cause.  This made it easier to deal with.  With new understanding, I was able to treat myself and the mood I was in with kindness, which in turn eaased my suffering and helped lift my mood; and this, I'm sure, helped make me more pleasant to be around, bringing joy not only to my day, but to the day of those around me.

Are you in a foul mood?  Is your fuse short today, for some reason that you can't quite figure out?  Are you feeling on edge?

Stop.

Take a breath.

Acknowledge the mood you are in.  Gently examine it and seek to understand without judging.  Treat yourself with kindness, and allow your foul mood to slowly melt away into contentment.

No comments: