September 16, 2010

Walking

I don't want to waste your time, so I'll tell you right now:  I'm rambling today.  I don't have much to say, really.  Probably that's because I didn't get any exercise yesterday.  Normally I ride my bike or walk or do some other form of exercise, every day.  Sometimes it's as I commute the one mile from home to my office at church.  Other times it's simply because I feel like it.

Another reason I don't have much to say might be that I checked out a book from the library, started reading it, and couldn't put it down.  Ironically, it was called The Walk.  It's a very intriguing book about a man who lost everything and just decided to go for a walk, one that lasted 3,000 miles. 

Well, I don't actually know if he made it the whole 3,000 miles.  The book ends before his walk does.  But I loved reading about the significant and not-so-significant things he saw on his walk, the people he met and the towns he passed through, people and places he would have missed had he not been walking.

I find walking to be especially relaxing, and a great way to sort out one's thoughts.  Walking is also a great way to develop some ideas for writing.  I've often thought about seeing how far I could walk in a day.  The only reason I don't walk more than I do is time.  There are so many places that I could easily walk to in one day:  the beach, Disneyland, downtown L.A. 

I bet if I walked to one of those places, I'd have something better to write about.

Tomorrow is my day off.  I think I'll go for a walk.  Or a bike ride.  Or both.  Not sure where I'll end up, but I am sure that I'll find my thoughts cleared a little by the time I'm done.

No comments: