January 10, 2010

Newspaper Update

The church I pastor is doing fairly well these days, but still, it hasn't escaped the effects of the recession. The result is salary cuts.

The other day, after some figuring, I proudly announced to my wife that we could save $60 a month by getting rid of our land phone line (which we hardly ever use anyway) and cutting back on some hardly-used features of our cell phone calling plan. She then informed me that she, too, had found a way for us to save money: she cancelled the more expensive Sunday paper we'd been getting and signed us up for a special deal with the Press-Telegram.

"You did what!?" I said. If you've read this blog over the past year, you know the trouble I've had with the Press-Telegram. (If you haven't, click on the "press-telegram" link in the topic list to the right ... or just do a google search for "press-telegram sucks." Yep, my blog will show up there.) Anyway, she said someone from the paper called and said something to the effect of, "I see you've had some problems with us. I'd like to make it good by offering you the paper on Sundays for a ridiculously low price."

Is the Press-Telegram really trying to atone for its past mistakes and shoddy customer service? And if so, will they be successful? I guess we'll find out.

Today I asked my wife, "So when will the delivery start?"

"Today," she said.

"Well, we didn't get a paper. I'll let you call and find out why."

2 comments:

kwpershey said...

Aside from the tight church budget, something I'm painfully familiar with, this is just about the funniest thing I've ever read. Good luck with that... I wouldn't touch the Breeze with a ten foot pole.

Adam Gonnerman said...

I hate to hear you're having to cut back. Getting rid of the landline makes sense though. Residential phone lines are quickly becoming a thing of the past.