May 20, 2009

Beer, Revisited

I've been trying to think of something to write for this week's post, but nothing's coming to me. I wonder if a beer will help, then realize how strange it is for me to think that.

Four years ago I wrote a blog post. It had a one word title: "Beer." And one of the things I said in that post was: "I'll never be a beer drinker." (Read Beer.)

I guess that's why it felt a little strange last week when I joined a number of parents from my son's scout troop for an "unofficial" troop committee meeting at a local pub. (This followed the "official" meeting; don't worry, everyone was responsible.) Glasses and pitchers were passed around, and yes, I had my own--glass, not pitcher. Still, I wouldn't let the man next to me refill my glass, although he tried several times.

In that previous post, I was looking forward to the Disciples General Assembly, which was taking place that summer in Portland. I was amused that, in the Assembly's advance publicity, Portland was promoted as a city that has one of the highest concentrations of micro breweries in the country. This is a real draw for Disciples.

Well, there is another General Assembly coming up this summer, and I'll be attending. So far, the promotional materials, including several videos on YouTube, highlight:

tools for greening our lives


resource groups, preaching, music ... and TV's Drew Powell


a chance to bring cultures together ... and Bill Thomas' puppet show


... but so far, no mention of beer. C'mon, what kind of church have we become?

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hey, Danny, if I see you, I'm buying you a beer. If nothing else, just for writing this post!

Anonymous said...

I can point the way towards some microbrews in Indy if you want some...