November 05, 2008

Response to a Friend

A friend of mine, a McCain supporter, sent me an email after the election results were announced, asking how I, as a Christian, can be a supporter of Obama. She is a good friend and her question was sincere, and so I replied to her with a response that I hope is equally sincere. I thought I'd post my answer here (as well as to her personally), in case it is of interest to anyone else...

I've been an Obama supporter ever since his speech four years ago at the Democratic National Convention, when he said:

"we’re all connected as one people. If there is a child on the south side of Chicago who can’t read, that matters to me, even if it’s not my child. If there is a senior citizen somewhere who can’t pay for their prescription drugs, and having to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it’s not my grandparent. If there’s an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties.

It is that fundamental belief -- It is that fundamental belief: I am my brother’s keeper, I am my sister’s keeper, that makes this country work. It’s what allows us to pursue our individual dreams and yet still come together as one American family."

That's one of the most Christian statements I've ever heard from any politician.

I know many Christians can't support Obama because they believe their faith calls them to be pro-life, while Obama is pro-choice. The fact is that you can't reduce abortions by outlawing them. Globally, the nations with the lowest abortion rates are some northern European countries, where abortion is legal and even paid for by national health insurance. Nations with the highest abortion rates are in Latin America, where abortion is illegal. This is because in northern Europe, there is better health care and support for families and mothers, while in Latin America, there is very little, and many mothers-to-be don't see how they can economically support a child--so they choose abortion, even though it's illegal. Obama, I believe, will do more to help families when it comes to health care and economic support, thus reducing the abortion rate more than if it were outlawed.

Finally, I believe that as the world's superpower & leader, the U.S. should be servant to the world, building relationships, promoting peace, rather than being the world's bully. I believe that is how Christ would have us act. And I believe that Obama is closer to this way of thinking (though not perfect) than McCain.

Hope this helps,
Danny

That said, I should point out that when the election was called last night, I was at a church board meeting. I knew exactly when the election was called, because the cell phone in my pocket started vibrating, and I heard some excited shouts from outside, but I ignored the cell phone and the urge to run to a TV or radio.

There were about a dozen church members at that meeting, and we did not all vote the same. I'm sure that many of us were anxious to get home and find out how the election went. However, we also know that our ultimate citizenship belongs in heaven--that is what unites us, and that is what brought us to church on election night.

3 comments:

Robert Cornwall said...

Thanks Danny for posting this.

By the way, the advantage of living in EST is that it's 11 PM by the time things get called. Of course, I didn't get to bed until 1 AM this morning!!!

Katy V. said...

Thank you for this post. You've summed up a bit of what I've been struggling to in the past few weeks. Citizens of heaven, indeed--perfect words for someone who has just been studying up on the Apocalypse for a big exam!

kathy a. said...

danny, that is beautiful. thank you for sharing this.