January 21, 2008

Isaiah 49

The Lord called me before I was born,
while I was in my mother's womb he named me.
he made my mouth like a sharp sword,
in the shadow of his hand he hid me;
he made me a polished arrow,
in his quiver he hid me away.
And he said to me, "You are my servant,
Israel, in whom I will be glorified."
But I said, "I have labored in vain.
I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity;
yet surely my cause is with the LORD,
and my reward with my God."


Growing up in Burbank, my eyes were often drawn to the hills that surround the city on three sides. They look a little different now. Most noticeably, in the Hollywood Hills to the south, one lone tree stands out, silhouetted on top of Cahuenga Peak. (That's ca-WAYNG-uh.) On Saturday I hiked up to that tree with Dave, and discovered that, of all the trees on that hill, it alone survived last year's brush fire. (I may write a full hike report later in the week.)

I've also discovered, since moving here, that I miss the discipline of following along with the lectionary scripture readings. The preachers at the church I've been attending don't follow the lectionary. The Isaiah scripture is from the lectionary readings for January 20.

No comments: