December 21, 2007

Solstice Sunrise

A wonderful thing to see...

...as I sip my morning cup of tea.

The winter solstice is today at 10:08 p.m. PST. These pictures were taken just before and just after sunrise, looking out my kitchen window. About a half hour after these pictures were taken, I waited with my kids for the bus to take them to their last day of school before Christmas, and before we move. As we stood there waiting, I could hear coyotes off in the distance.

Starting next week, the view out my kitchen window will be a cinder block wall.

The winter solstice is usually regarded as the beginning of winter. However, many cultures consider it the midpoint of winter; makes sense when you think about it. Wikipedia has a very interesting article about the winter solstice.

No comments: