April 17, 2007

Struggle

Is it easy to be a Christian? Not for me. Every day, I struggle. Questions run through my mind. What does it mean to be a Christian? What does it mean to be human?

Every day, I find it a tremendous challenge to maintain good relationships within my own family, not to mention my relationships with my community, my world, and my God.

It's all so confusing and overwhelming. Should I do this, or that? Should I speak, or remain silent? Is my anger over certain things justified? Does standing firm for what I believe make me an example to others, or is it leading me further down the path of becoming a bitter, cynical man?

Scripture helps. The teachings of wise prophets, men and women of great faith both ancient and modern, help. Prayer helps a lot.

But even so, some days I find that I can do nothing. I'm stuck. Paralyzed. I realize that I really don't know how to be a father, a husband, a pastor, a mentor. I don't even know how to live.

Photo taken at the Bobelaine Nature Preserve.

1 comment:

jo(e) said...

Thanks for this honest post.