October 13, 2006

Mozart

Tonight, a concert of Mozart music is taking place at the Lutheran church in Yuba City, just 30 minutes up highway 99. When one thinks of quality classical music concerts, one doesn't usually think of Sutter County. I like classical music, and I especially love Mozart. Mozart is the greatest! The exchange student who lived with us five years ago was an exceptional pianist who loved to play Mozart. And I loved to listen.

When I was a student at Chapman University, I sang in the concert choir. (The year after I left the choir, the choir appeared in the movie Sister Act 2, but that's another story.) One of the big performances we did was Mozart's C-Minor Mass. It took a lot of rehearsals to get it right, but it was worth it.

Tonight, it will be hard not to think of Mozart, as I sit in the stands at the high school homecoming game, listening to the rag-tag band struggle through "Louie, Louie" and "You Give Love a Bad Name."

No comments: