December 18, 2005

On my mind

The sermon has concluded; the congregation comes forward down the center aisle for communion. The pastor, holding the chalice, has a calm, sorta-smile on his face, trying to look happy and serious at the same time. Ever wonder what the pastor's thinking as he stands there?

Today, I was thinking about the waterspot that has appeared on the sanctuary ceiling. I thought of Jim, who's funeral we had last Thursday. I saw an old picture last week of Jim in the sanctuary, with a waterspot on the ceiling very near where this new waterspot is. I thought about the recent conference between Disciples (my denomination) and Catholics regarding communion....maybe one day, we'll be able to share in communion together. I wondered how we could get an espresso/cappucino machine to use during coffee hour, and if anyone would know how to use it. I thought about the people who mentioned to me recently how horrible they think it is that stores say "happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." I contemplated shouting out to the congregation, "Why are you looking for the meaning of Christmas at the store, anyway?"

The pastor has a lot on his mind these days....

3 comments:

Jim said...

Still enjoying my visits here. My own site often reflects my lack of faith in where the Church as a whole has gone. You never fail here, however, to give me reason to think there is yet hope, there are yet those who haven't fallen into Ephesus, evolved into Laodicea. You and yours have a merry Christmas, my friend.......

Anonymous said...

Glad to find your blog through the Disciples webring. All the best in your ministry. Mickey Anders

kwpershey said...

Ha! Wow, I can relate with the busy mind during communion. Just insert a few thoughts of "wow, I should be more prayerful right now."